Translate

Thursday, February 2, 2017

For better or For Worse- PARENTING

Everyone is pretty familiar with marriage vows, but not many people consider applying those same promises to having children....
"to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; from this day forward until death do us part."

Now apply that to how you raise your child. Are you loving and cherishing them? Are you caring for them mentally and physically regardless of their views on religion or love? Are you concerned for their well being even when you do not agree with their choices?

BY NO MEANS am I saying parents are to be fiscally responsible for their offspring for the entire duration of their life! I do know that there have been times in my life when I choose to love, honor, and make sure my son felt cherished even if I had to work extra hard or save extra long. I believe that memories are something I can pass down to my child.

Many people are comfortable saying that "blood is thicker" and claiming family when it is easy. What about when your heart is broken for and/or by them? Do you choose love? Do your words and actions reflect the same overwhelmingly crushing love as when you held them for the first time? Even if their arrival into the world was not apart of YOUR intentions at that moment- the entire universe and stars in the heavens had to align so that during the very tiny window that a woman is ovulating that everything worked out to allow this tiny human to exist. The world needed their  existence for some good that is greater than you. Maybe they are hear to lead people and change thousands of peoples' lives. Maybe they are here to inspire someone who will be kinder and more gentle to others.  Whether you are able to see the ripple of effect that you ( or they) have- there is a ripple. Our lives are not lived isolated without any interaction. Our lives are touched, shaped, grown, and moved by the ripples of others who have touched us both positively or negatively.

If parenthood had vows- I do not think they would be that much different than the vows of commitment that most people say during a wedding. As a parent I often feel as though my hear tis walking around outside my body. I am proud when my succeeds. I feel the desire to protect and comfort him when he fails- and sometimes allowing him to fall and learn to get up is harder for me to allow than the lesson he is learning. I want him to grow to be a good man who loves his family and kisses his babies goodnight.

I dream of him being the kid of man whose kids run to him after work. I parent and nurture him hoping that the man I am going to eventually send into the world will be protective and stand in the gaps of other's weakness and gentle to those who need it. I am raising a husband and a father. There is not a "little boy" that sleeps in his room- but rather a developing man.

Are you taking your rolls as parent seriously? You are raising our future generations. You are raising the people who will change the world .

Are your actions as a parent going to help or hurt ?
Because "for better or for worse" you are the main difference.


No comments:

Post a Comment